Friday, June 4, 2010

It'll Grow Back.

I'm debating whether or not to cut off all my hair. Well, 10 inches of it for Locks of Love. Which might as well be all of it, as far as I'm concerned. I don't know why I have such a hang up about my hair. I always have.

I used to do everything and anything to my poor hair. Dyed it black. Cut it to within an inch of it's life (literally). Dyed it fire-engine red. Became a vegetarian and made it all fall out. Put it in dreadlocks. Dyed it dark brown with big blonde chunks. Put it in pin curls. Dyed it purple. Grew it out. Dyed it auburn with highlights. Hot rollers, blow dryers, bobby pins, foam curlers, metal wave clips from the 40s, curling irons, styling wax, flat irons, curling mousse and gel, anti-frizz serum....you name it, it's been in my bathroom cabinets, and probably still is.

But for the last 10 or so years of my life, I've been paralyzed with fear of doing anything to it. It's been it's natural color (fairly boring brown), straight, and longer than shoulder length for a decade. The most drastic thing I've done is get a trim now and then (usually only once a year) and I got a few highlights for my wedding 4 years ago. I wrestle with the decision to do something new. I have an appointment today at 1:30. We'll see what happens.

No comments: