Some people have mastered the art of the annual Christmas letter. I can always count on the dedicated few each year who write a neatly composed volume enclosed with their Christmas card. A perfect balance of the personal and professional, written to a general audience, a little enclosed time capsule a year in the making. Never anything ground-breaking, save for the occasional birth of a grandchild, marriage of a sibling, a new job, or death of a loved one. And even those momentous occasions get merely a byline - after all, it was only one day in the 365 that have passed.
The Christmas letter is the art of summary - an art, like most, at which I fail miserably. Moreover, the tone is pleasantness. Nicety. Glossing over. Yet another art at which I fail. How can I summarize the beauty, the tragedy, the humor, the sadness, the complexity of a year? (Starting to sound a bit like the theme from Rent, right?!?) So much passes by. So many moments I wish I could hold in my head, but that get instantly replaced by new moments everyday. Which is probably why the typical Christmas letter is a factual, chronological account of what happened. On this day, we did this. In that month, we did that. Next year, we will do this. Is this what our lives look like laid bare? An endless continuum of seemingly meaningless, emotionless events?
I've always wanted to join the ranks of the Christmas letter-writers. In the days of e-mail and Facebook, and Snozberries (or whatever-they're-called), it feels like such a holidays-of-yore thing to do. And up until maybe this year, I've seen my life as this chronological series of events that have a clear beginning in January and can be concisely summarized by the beginning of December (in fact, I've done a whole decade like this here). But this year was different. After the tumultuous 2009 - losing job, new baby, new job, less money, near-failing relationship, another new job - I hardly think that 2010 went in a straight line. And besides the leaps-and-bounds-accomplishments of my beautiful boy, nothing is worth writing about.
So instead, I'm going to write my Christmas letter for next year. Call it a "wish list" if you will. I know not all of these wishes may come true, but putting them in writing couldn't hurt, right?!
Christmas Letter: 2011 Edition
"Hello Beloved Family and Friends,
2011 was a banner year for the Keilback family. This year we loved each other and our families, celebrated joys, and tried to forget about our faults. We smiled more, laughed more, and enjoyed each other more.
We celebrated most of January by playing in the snow and watching the birds at our feeders. Ely had his share of sicknesses, but he bore them bravely, including getting tubes in his ears. In February, we celebrated his 2nd birthday with our closest relatives. We were surprised again by a visit from Grandpa Steve from New Hampshire and Ely loved the chance to get to know him.
In February, I celebrated my first full year at Girl Scouts, a job which I have loved since the moment she walked in the door - and no, not because of the cookies! Although not without the trials of any new job, it was been a rewarding and fulfilling experience that makes me excited to come to work each day, something I had been searching for years to find. Greg also celebrated a year in his new position as Director of Land Stewardship at Natural Land Institute, where he has worked now for almost 4 years. He still gets "paid to play outside," as he loves to put it.
We also got a visit from my brother John, his girlfriend Mallory, and their daughter Elizabeth in the spring. Ely and Elizabeth had fun playing together, as they are only 1.5 years apart. I missed my brother terribly when he left, but I am so proud of him for striking out on his own and starting own family and career. I have to say, though, that watching my "little" brother grow up makes me feel old!
We spent the summer working on our house, birdwatching, hiking, swimming, and vacationing in the Black Hills in South Dakota. Ely survived the long drive and loved to see the wildlife and different scenery. Ely loves to be outdoors and follows in his daddy's footsteps with his love of nature. The three of us made many family memories outside, despite hoardes of mosquitoes, the burning sun, and stifling humidity!
Fall brought a momentous occasion - the marriage of Greg's sister Stephanie to her fiance Matt. They had a beautiful wedding and Stephanie was a beautiful bride. Ely is happy to have an Uncle Matt. The only sadness is that they now live a little farther away, so we may not see them as often. But we are counting on the fact that "Aunt Steph" just can't get enough of her little nephew! :)
Ely continues to grow and amaze us both. He is a "kid" now - no longer a baby, no longer a toddler. He is a sweet, affectionate, inquisitive child who observes the world around him with bright, open eyes - a view I often envy. At nearly 3-years-old, he knows all his letters, numbers, and colors, loves books and Thomas the Train, and talks like you would expect any kindergartner to talk. He is fully potty trained and will be starting some preschool classes this next year.
As we both look forward to entering our 30's (Greg is only a few days away from this milestone!) this year, we hope that this new decade of our lives will bring us more happiness, joy, peace, and stability than ever before. And we wish the same for you!"
No comments:
Post a Comment