Thursday, July 31, 2008

Am I a sap?

I bought two homeless men lunch at McDonald's today. I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet. I mean, I should feel good, but I also feel like some sort of sucker. Why is it that society makes you feel remorse for doing something that should be inherently good? "They probably weren't really homeless." "They'll probably stand in that McDonald's parking lot and scam 10 more people today." "They'll probably trade it for drugs or booze."

Who cares? It's a quarter pounder and fries, and last time I checked that probably won't buy you a whole lot of crack. And if they eat 10 quarter pounders, so what? Maybe they won't be hungry tomorrow. And as for not being homeless, even if they had a roof, you still have to be pretty hard up to actually ditch your pride and ask someone else for food.

Actually, what made me do it was this promo on this radio station that I am furious about. It's all about "random acts of kindness" and they have this thing where they encourage you to buy the drive thru order of the person behind you. Then you can go to their website and report that you did it and they'll read your name on the air. Although this may seem a noble effort, I see several flaws. First, purchasing fast food for another person is not the best way to help someone out unless as I did today, they are in dire need of anything to eat. Second, the person in the car behind you probably does not need the help. Why not spend that $10-$20 helping out a local charity, donating to a food pantry, or better yet, spend some time volunteering in the community. Last, why would you go onto a website and report this wonderful thing you did like screaming it from the rooftops? The whole point of random acts of kindness is that it's supposed to be from the heart, not for recognition. So today I did my part to combat this effort and bought something for someone who really needed it (or at least needed it worse than I did), and I don't expect any blessing from a radio station for it.

1 comment:

valandshawn said...

i say--not a sap. i hate giving people money, though. once a guy came to our door asking for money to buy groceries for his wife and small children. i said--oh! i've got just the thing! i just got back from the grocery store! (i really had just gotten back, too. the groceries were still in bags and everything.) i told him to take whatever he needed. and he said, "uhh.. well, i'm not heading right home...i don't have room in my car...can you just give me cash instead..."

right.

i hate that.

--val