Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Vehicular Angst.

I hate dealing with vehicles, and everything vehicle-related. I hate fixing them. I hate the status they create, or in my case, do not create. I hate filling them up with gas. I hate the emissions and waste. I hate our culture's total reliance on them. I hate killing or even injuring animals with them, which brings me to this current state of needing a new vehicle. But most of all, I HATE buying them.

It is such an agonizing process. Searching for the right one, test driving something that is completely foreign to you, thinking about the longterm financial consequences of purchasing or not purchasing, selling the old one, haggling with owners that think their cars are worth far more than they actually are, discovering that things in the online description are not even close to accurate, and especially with used cars (which is all I would ever buy), the constant nagging thought that as soon as I sign on the dotted line, the transmission will seize up, the engine will blow, or the body will fall off the frame (or all three).

And I don't understand how some people can sign over $20,000 of their income for one of these hideous contraptions. Where do people my age get this money? How do college kids have better cars than I do? Why is that I will always will be driving a car that is from the previous decade (current is 15 years old)? Between student loans, mortgage payments, and basic living expenses, cars seem to always fall to the bottom of my list of "important things to spend money on". I refuse to go into longterm debt for something that depreciates daily. So do I keep driving around a car with almost 200,000 miles, a large crack in the windshield, and a deer-butt sized dent in the hood just to escape the agony of buying a new, or should I say new to me, car?

No comments: