Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fabulous versus Failure.

I've spent a lot of time lately dwelling on failure. I fail to spend enough time with my kid. I fail to be the attentive, doting wife that I once was. I fail to retain meaningful friendships. I fail to exercise and eat healthfully, thus failing to lose weight and failing to be attractive to my husband. I fail to do volunteer work I once promised to do. I fail to "go the extra mile" at work because of family obligations. I fail to maintain even basic standards of cleanliness at home, never having enough hours in the day.

But I'm really tired of feeling like I have to be Supermom and Superwife, and the accompanying shroud of guilt when I just can't be. I went from a happy, active, interesting, motivated, energetic, strong, financially stable, independent woman to an overwhelmed, overworked, exhausted, put-upon, worrysome, unattractive, weepy shell of a human. I've lost my Fabulousness. And I desperately need to find it.

So maybe once a week, I will use this blog as a way to remind myself that I still have some Fabulousness left. Maybe it will start seeping into my consciousness when failure surrounds me.

This week I am fabulous because:
1. I am really thrifty - I found a beautiful new winter coat for myself at a thrift store for $7.
2. I have good taste in music, and I don't care if you disagree. My i-Pod shuffles between Amos Lee, Patty Griffin, Bob Dylan, Hem, The Beatles, Jack Johnson, Cat Stevens, John Mayer...
3. My good memory genes manifested - Ely is so smart and remembers things so easily.

No comments: