Thursday, August 14, 2008

And the canning begins...


My house has been taken over by tomatoes. It reminds me of that cartoon in the early 90s - Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Tomatoes on my dining room table. Tomatoes in buckets on the floor. Tomatoes on my kitchen counter. Tomatoes in my garage. Tomatoes in my office - yes, that's right, my office. My house is one giant acidic ulcer waiting to happen.

Add on top of that my first delectable vegetable and fruit shipment from Angelic Organics. Angelic is a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm (think: co-op) in Caledonia, Illinois. When you purchase a share in their farm, you are entitled to weekly shipments of delicious organic vegetables and fruits. This week I received plums, pears, chard, green peppers, cilantro, hot peppers, sweet corn, watermelon, leeks, fennel, blueberries, champagne grapes, celery, nectarines, and more...tomatoes.

Canning. Canning is my solution to what I've deemed a tomato "problem". These invaders will soon be transformed into salsa, marinara, chili, and diced, sliced, and pureed into relics of their former selves. And in mid-December when I pop the seal on the Ball canning jar, summer will come rushing in.

No comments: