Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Out to Sea

Over Labor Day weekend, our family went to Rock Cut State Park for a canoe trip. Greg had regaled members of his family with tales of our canoe trips, and all of a sudden, everyone wanted to go canoeing with us. But seeing as how we only have one canoe that seats two comfortably (and maybe three less comfortably), we borrowed some canoes from a friend (that we hopefully will have a chance to purchse to start our own guide service) and 15 of us set out to sea. Or to lake, actually.

Greg TRIED to give everyone a lesson in canoeing - paddle strokes, steering, avoiding obstacles, etc. While there were no casualties on the day, there were plenty of our family's aluminum canoes spinning in circles out on the water! But it is the point that matters - the desire to be interested in something that another member of the family does, even if it's not your cup of tea. In fact, that is what's weird (and good) about his family. They are all so different - different ages, different interests, different personalities. But they take the time to genuinely care about each others' lives, hobbies, and pursuits. I don't think most families, especially extended families, can make that claim.

1 comment:

Rachel Lynn said...

Hey Emily...thanks for the comment! That was my very first one! :) My blog isn't the most exciting thing....really just occasional ramblings from me :). I don't have anything truly "fun" to write about, such as a pregnancy or child. In fact, I haven't really told many people I even HAVE a blog...just through links when I rarely post comments on others' more exciting blogs :). So, thanks.

More seriously, I was so sorry to hear about Mike and Kyle. I can't imagine what you are going through. I lost a dear cousin to cancer in 2006 (he was only 25), but nothing really can compare to losing 2 family members and so UNEXPECTEDLY. I pray that your entire family finds strength and healing.

One thing that really impressed me was an album of pictures on facebook, of all things. Stephanie Keilback had posted an album of pictures of the family doing yardwork/planting (was it a memorial garden of sorts?), etc....and had tagged Mike and Kyle in each and every photo. I was struck by the sense of togetherness that radiated from those photos and from the SMILES I saw on the faces of many people. I admire the strength of the Mitchell/Keilback families (as random as this is!).

Emily, I hope the pregancy goes well for you (and that things improve from the last post!) and that you ENJOY this time. I have NO idea what you feel like, though :). Maybe someday ;). You and Greg will be such fun parents and I can't wait to read all about it!!!

With love,
Rachel Brunner