Monday, December 22, 2008

Do I put him in the Doghouse?

My husband's philosophy on gift giving: "We're so in love that she couldn't possibly have different tastes, wants, or needs than I do, so I will buy a gift that we both can use."
Wife's translation: "He can't resist buying me something that he will end up using more himself."

I, being a completely selfless Christmas gift-giver, always buy him something that is "just for him" - something he really wants and that I probably will never use or care for. That is why I am somewhat hurt every year when I can expect some poorly wrapped package under the tree from my husband that at first instinct, seems like an extremely selfish gift. That is, one that he will use himself.

Here are some of "these" gifts he's given me in Christmases of yore:
  • a giant carabiner for rock climbing or clipping very heavy things (neither of which I do);
  • men's pajamas (which he ends up wearing);
  • gift certificates for places he likes to shop and usually ends up talking me into spending my gift card on him;
  • Quite a few articles of clothing in men's sizes over the years;
  • a sleeping pad for camping that he ends up taking on his camping trips;
  • Something from Nicholson Hardware or Nicholson Lawn and Garden (Trevor - it doesn't help when another clueless male helps him shop!);
  • and most notably and notoriously, the infamous Rabbit Fur Hat Christmas. He bought me a rabbit fur bomber hat (think: Cousin Eddie in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation) to wear when we go ice fishing, along with a pair of extremely warm mittens from REI. Now, it was thoughtful since he wanted me to be warm in the cold winters of Northern Minnesota. But it's just what every girl wants for Christmas, right? Well, he ends up wearing them to work more than I have ever worn them. Here is a picture of me wearing my fabulous hat.
So this Christmas he informs me that 1) he has spent more money on me this year than in years past, and 2) that he has had to jump through quite a few hoops to procure whatever gem he's dreamed up for himself, I mean, me, for Christmas. I can't wait to update you on what he's come up with this year!

3 comments:

Rebecca is Fabulous said...

lol...doghouse for sure. Maybe this year he will get a clue!

Rachel Lynn said...

I definitely can't wait to read about what he came up with this year!!! This was a hilarious post ;). Hope all is well in your world! :)

Rachel Lynn said...

SO, I am on the edge of my seat!! Is he in the doghouse this year? What did he get?!