Monday, December 15, 2008

Firsts and Lasts

Disclaimer: I'll apologize in advance if this blog entry doesn't make much sense to those who do not know me and what my family has been through in the last 6 months, but I'm writing it more for me than anyone else.

I am not nearly as excited about this holiday season as usual. I'm usually listening to Christmas music in September. I have my shopping done by November. Christmas decorations typically make an appearance before I've even bought the turkey for Thanksgiving. But this year is a year of firsts and lasts.

The last Christmas my brother might spend with us for a long time.
The first Christmas with an empty seat at The Kid's Table.
The last Christmas morning that Greg and I will be "just us."
The first Christmas we'll be waiting for a cousin to come in from chores instead of Uncle Mike.
The last Christmas I can technically claim I'm still "one of the kids."
The first Christmas with no French Horn in our band, and one less audience member.
The first Christmas marked more by sadness than by joy, and hopefully the last.

3 comments:

Rebecca is Fabulous said...

I'll be thinking of you and your family this christmas. here's hoping the bright spots overshadow the not-so-bright ones.

Rachel Lynn said...

Emily, for lack of anything better to say...I am sorry.
I hope through your sorrow, though, somehow you enjoy this season (or at least parts of it)...and your dear uncle and cousin will be proud.
Take care!

The Growing Goodsons said...

We're praying for you guys. It's so hard to celebrate after you lose a loved one - trust me I understand. Like Rachel said I hope you can somehow enjoy this holiday season. At some point the pain will lessen and it will be the happy memories that shine brighter than anything. But until that happens hang onto each other and God. He will see you through.

God Bless,
Tarah