Hillary Clinton once gave a speech entitled, "It Takes a Village to Raise a Child" and this past weekend, I became a believer. As many of you know, I now work for On the Waterfront, Illinois' largest music festival held every Labor Day weekend in Rockford. After totaling up my hours from Wednesday through Monday morning (when I finally arrived home from Festival tear-down at 6 a.m.), I realized I worked 85 hours in the span of 5 days. Needless to say, I didn't see Ely for more than an hour in those 5 days, which means I owe a large debt of gratitude to "the village" that is helping us keep his life stable amidst the stress of both of our demanding jobs.
First - to my husband. Though you will never read this (since you think blogging is silly), I want you to know that I couldn't have dreamed of a better father for our little boy. Watching you with him is the biggest joy of my life.
To Aunt Stephy - You know it's a good day when he laughs and plays so hard, he passes out when he gets home. You'll always be his crazy, fun aunt.
To Grandma and Pop - Supporting us as you have throughout the years has helped us be the family we are today. The love you have for your grandchild is such a beautiful thing.
To Uncle Matt, Auntie Thessa, and Cousin Thea - I wouldn't be able to come to work without knots in my stomach every day if Ely didn't have such wonderful caretakers. The best part is - I know you aren't just taking care OF him, I know you care ABOUT him.
To Grandma Mitchell - Thank you for letting my little boy be at least partially raised on the farm, and for always helping when we need it.
To Uncle John, Mallory, and Elizabeth - I wish we could raise our children together, but I know you need to do what is best for your family. Thank you for letting us have the chance to meet you and get to know you!
To Grandpa Steve - I'm glad you got to meet Ely this past week, and thank you for all the help you were to us when you were back for a visit. Although things weren't ideal when I was a kid, I'm glad we are able to be friends as an adult.
And finally, and most importantly, to the Mayor of my Village.
To Grammy Jane. I don't have words to express how thankful I am to you. You seem to be both mom and Grammy at the same time; I think you take care of me just as much as you do Ely. I don't think there are many people in this world who would move into someone's house for the week, take care of their grandchild and do the laundry, wash the dishes, cook the meals, clean the house, buy groceries, and take care of their own house at the same time. I was able to work without thinking about home, and as much as I hate that fact, I am forever grateful that my home life didn't suffer in my absence (and in fact, I think it was cleaner than when I am there!). I know you won't let me repay you for what you've done; I only hope that my work life slows enough for us spend some time together as friends again.
No comments:
Post a Comment