Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Pee-Pee Diaries: Day 2

Day 2 began with a set of soaked sheets. Was I surprised? No. But I was still in good spirits and ready to start the day. I thought "If he could make it to the potty without an accident at least once on Day 1, he'll be getting this down in no time!" Ha!

We started the day with a few accidents, but on Day 2, he mostly "finished" in the potty everytime. We almost missed catching the #2 and ended up with one small little stinky "surprise" in his underwear but he finished going on the potty. (From everything I've read/heard, getting kids to go #2 on the potty is the hardest battle, and he seemed to have this one down!) He had a few more successes in the afternoon of keeping his "undies" dry and making it to the potty on time.

I could tell by the end of the day that he was getting a little sick of talking about it and a little weary of me. Rewards were not really having the effects of the first day and he was definitely tired of being inside.

After he fell into bed that night, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and fell apart a little. I'm so used to having such an independent, well-behaved child (for the most part), that when we're home together, I can walk away from him and not worry if I need to move the laundry along or make a meal. He plays independently and like his mama, seems to need his "alone time" once in a while. For 48 hours, I felt I had been glued to his tiny little Monster Truck-clad butt, and neither of us were really happy about that fact.

Despite my tiredness (and oncoming head cold), I resolved to wake him up in the middle of the night if needed. He began to get restless around 1:30 a.m. and I went in there, got him out of bed, and gently coaxed him to the potty. On which he sat and cried a very tired sob and did not go. I put him back down in his crib after some soothing and rocking, and not 2 minutes later, I hear "it's time mama" through the monitor. Sorry Ely, but it was past time, and now your jammies are soaked.

Day 2: End Transmission.

No comments: