Hi, my name is Emily. And I have a BIG BOY.
As I sat to upload some pictures from my camera the other night, I took a little longer to moon over a few from about a month ago. The back of a diaper sticking out a pair of little pants. A few of Ely in "JD" - Just Diaper - which is how Greg thought he was the cutest. I could almost hear the little hefty-bag-like "swish swish" as he shuffled around the room.
I remember the night one month ago today. Ely had just gotten out of the bath, and Greg made a big deal about putting his diaper on that night. I can't remember the last diaper I changed; I guess I didn't think much of it as I wasn't entirely convinced that it would be the last one I put on him. But here we are one month later. I've given away the last of his Pampers. I haven't bought diapers, wipes, or diaper cream at the store for a month. And Ely's changing table has made the final conversion to bookcase by replacing the changing pad on top with stuffed animals.
I know it's not over. We still struggle with #2 since he doesn't want to go anywhere but home (but really, who ever wants to poop anywhere else?). I know there will be the occasion where we'll be shopping in Walmart and I'll realize his socks are wet. Or he'll be so engrossed in playing outside that he'll forget to tell anyone "it's time" until it's too late. Or we'll be on the road with nowhere to stop. But for the most part, he's a BIG BOY.
He has mastered home and daycare. He's gone at grandma and grandpa's, Walmart, at a port-a-potty at the playground, at Farm & Fleet, in a compost toilet at daddy's work, in a urinal, and yesterday for the first time, outside while on a hike. Come to think of it, he now knows how to pee in more locales than most adults. Our big test is coming in a few weeks when we take a trip to Wisconsin. An hour and a half in the car, in a lodge for a few days, and then a trip to the Milwaukee Zoo. I'm confident that, like almost all transitions this wonderful child has gone through, he will do just fine. After all, he is a BIG BOY.
And you know what's cuter than a little boy in "just diapers"?
A BIG BOY in "just undies"!
2 comments:
Awww I got teary eyed reading this post. congrats to elly on becoming a big boy:)
way to go, Ely!!!! :) :) (and Mommy! :))
Post a Comment