Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Pee-Pee Diaries: Days 4 and 5

According to Lora Jensen, you're not supposed to need a Day 4 or 5. Not us. (I want my money back, by the way!)

Day 4 started great and Ely even woke up dry and sat on the potty right away with Greg. Then Greg left for work, and the same old behavior started up again with me. Accident after accident. I tried to remain more positive today, but I was so nervous about dropping him off at daycare the next day that it paralyzed me all day long.

Greg came home while Ely was napping. Ely slept for 3.5 hours (twice as long as usual) and I could tell he was just exhausted with the whole process. I didn't want to give up though, after 3.5 days with no diapers. He did good getting up from his nap, and then we went to play outside. He held it too long and had an accident outside, but I forgive him for that. He did great through dinner and kept his undies dry all evening. He even went potty before bed.

This morning, Day 5, he woke up dry. He went potty before Greg left for work and made it there with no accidents. It was time to leave for daycare and he had downed an entire glass of juice and didn't want to go potty before we left. To preserve the carseat, I put a pair of pull-ups over hs undies and stuck him in the car, hoping he'd keep them dry. I really tried to build up the show-off factor, telling him he'd be able to show everybody at daycare what he could do now.

Sure enough, as soon as we walk in the door, he says "it's time", and I run him into their bathroom where he goes successfully on their potty. I just called after his first 5 hours there, and they say no accidents yet! I guess it was just me after all....

So can I proudly say we're "potty trained"? Hmmm..."trained" would imply that he's been given all the information and skills he needs to be successful and knows how to execute when necessary. So yes. But consistently, no. Let's just say I'm not ready to take any car trip of over 5 minutes yet. Not ready to put him down at night without extra protection, and not totally convinced he'll keep it up once the novelty wears off. In other words, I'm keeping the bottle of Resolve handy for now!

2 comments:

Trisha Welte said...

Thanks for the laughs while reading the pee-pee blogs!! However, my laughs were purely nervous laughs knowing that in about 1 year, I will be going through the same thing!!

Miranda Johnson said...

loved reading all about your experience. I'm very nervous to start with Cameron now but it will all be worth it.