Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Pee-Pee Diaries: Day One - This is Fun!

(Disclaimer: Although it might be hard to write about this day-by-day now that we're through this past weekend, should I or anyone else ever have to go through this again, I want to remember what I did, since no one who has a child older than age 7 or 8 can seem to remember how their kid potty trained!)

Day 1 began like any other day. Ely woke up in a soaked diaper, downed 2 glasses of juice, and relaxed a little on the couch. Enter: big boy undies. He was super excited and kept them dry for about a 1/2 hour. I found myself immediately nervous - Where is he going to pee first? How often will he pee? What signs should I watch for? Am I staring at his crotch too much? Did I buy enough Resolve?

The first accident. The second accident. The third accident. All within the hour. Each time, rushing to the potty. On the fourth accident, he finally "finished" a little in the potty, only to be scared to death by his mother gyrating, dancing, singing, fist-pumping, screaming "Ely, Ely, Ely" in the bathroom. Him thinking, "What the *%@# is she doing?". A flood of praise, high fives, stickers, jelly beans, the whole bit. 5 minutes later, accident.

Later in the morning, I could tell a #2 was coming on, rushed to potty and made it, pushed, got it all in toilet. Mom is on Cloud Nine, Ely is looking a little confused.

The day was dotted with full-on accidents, finishing in potty, and even once in the afternoon, making it to the potty on time with no accident. He even woke up from his 2-hour nap dry as a bone. The magical bedtime hour came with a dilemma. Do I try to make my sleeps-like-a-rock child get up in the middle of the night to pee? Do I do as suggested and sleep in his room, waiting for him to stir in his sleep so I can say "Tell mama if you need to go pee pee" so his little subconcious can register the need to urinate? No. Mama's tired. Let's just see how he does on his own.

Day 1: End Transmission.

No comments: