Fall is my favorite time of year, and yet, it seems as if this fall has already come and gone too fast, with little to mark its presence. Sure, we've gone to the apple orchard a few times, we've gone on a few hikes, and we visited the Thresheree and the Pioneer Fest. My brother and his family came to visit in September, and my dad came at the end of September.
First trip to Edwards Apple Orchard (west)

The Rock River Thresheree on Labor Day Weekend in Edgerton, WI

We need a bigger reading chair when Elizabeth comes to visit!

The highlight of my brother's visit - a trip to the aquarium and museum in Dubuque, IA

At Camp Far Horizons in September

Ely at the Boone County Pioneer Fest

A fall hike at the Jarrett Prairie Center in Byron

The first Jack O'Lantern I ever carved

(I have more pictures, but my camera is in the shop, so they will have to wait!)
But it just doesn't seem like I took full advantage of the season. Work has been extremely busy...lots of meetings, lots of regional travel, and moving to a new office building has sapped my energy. Greg's work is always busy, and he spends many nights working on his latest project in the garage. I have cherished every weekend that hasn't had something on the calendar, and there have been far too few of them.
Ely is quite the home-body on the weekends, anyway. I can tell that he truly loves spending time at home, and he gets very excited when I tell him he doesn't have to go to daycare on the weekends. He rarely wants to go anywhere - I think he enjoys the quiet and the individual attention he gets at home. Although lately, he is more "terrible 2's" than he ever has been. Constantly testing limits, always pushing our buttons, and mouthing off alot. I never thought I'd sometimes dislike the fact that he can communicate so well...but sometimes when he's looking right at you, his face all screwed up in an angry elf-like expression, telling me that I'm a "stinky banana peel" (the ultimate insult, obviously), I start thinking that maybe it's a blessing and a curse all at the same time. :) Seriously though, I was told by a occupational and speech therapist that visits his daycare to work with another child that he is extremely bright, very good at social and group interaction, and very progressed in his speech. I wonder if he called her a stinky banana peel.
Things just go so fast lately that I just KNOW I'm not going to remember some very special times in our lives. That's actually the primary reason that I'm apologetic for not keeping up with this blog as well as I should. I'm not sorry to you - let's face it, most of my readers are family who pretty much already know what's going on in our lives. I'm mostly sorry to you, future self. I know that someday 5, 10, 20 years from now, I'll only have these entries to remind me what our mundane, day to day existence was like, and after all, isn't that most of life? We usually remember the big things - holidays, vacations, special events. But we so often forget what it was like to live: wake up, spend a half hour cuddling on the couch with a snuggly boy and his juice before heading off to work, coming home, hearing about his day on the way home in the car, sitting down to a meal where a 2-year-old dictator rules the conversation, wrestling/playing/reading/running/pretending before bath, jammies, stories, songs, and bed. That's the stuff I don't want to forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment